Friday, January 24, 2020

The Bug List

Bug #1:
I walk to campus, and on my way there I have to cross 13th. It takes so long for the light to change to be able to cross, it often makes me late to class.
Why does this bug exist?
There is a lot of traffic during the times I walk to class, so there needs to be more time for the cars to be able to go through the intersection.

Bug #2:
The application/hiring process takes so long.
Why does this bug exist?
The employer needs time to be able to review the application and schedule an interview to get to know the potential employee.

Bug #3:
You have to pay shipping costs when ordering something online.
Why does this bug exist?
It takes time and effort to package, ship, and deliver a product to a consumer, so the people who do so need to be compensated for that time and effort.

Bug #4:
The air conditioning/heater isn't effective in the upstairs of my apartment.
Why does this bug exist?
The vents downstairs are much more powerful.

Bug #5:
McDonald's prices have raised so much that I now have to pay upwards of $8.00 for a Big Mac Meal.
Why does this bug exist?
McDonald's knows that the demand for their food will be there, even when the prices go up; they want to make more money.

Bug #6:
There are constant ads on YouTube videos that I watch, interrupting the video right in the middle of it.
Why does this bug exist?
YouTube needs to make money to run its platform by displaying ads on it.

Bug #7: 
My "LifeProof" phone case broke after about 6 months of owning it.
Why does this bug exist?
The phone case is made out of plastic, so it's not the most durable thing in the world.

Bug #8: 
Half of the weekly 2-hour showing of The Bachelor on ABC is commercials.
Why does this bug exist?
The Bachelor is a huge production, so it needs to be funded by commercial earnings.

Bug #9: 
In my Music Theory class, homework is due in person in my professor's box in the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, even though we only have class on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Why does this bug exist?
We have a lot of material to get through, and a lot of homework to get through, so assigning homework four times a week evens out the workload.

Bug #10: 
I have to print out the assignment and do it on paper for every time we are assigned homework in Music Theory.
Why does this bug exist?
It's difficult to do Music Theory work online, and my professor isn't fond of all our methods of education being online.

Bug #11: 
A lot of nightclubs in Gainesville are 21+, and I'm 20 so I can't go to them.
Why does this bug exist?
The nightclubs don't want to be responsible for underage drinking and providing alcohol to minors.

Bug #12: 
I have a class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, which I don't like because I like to have Fridays off and all of my other MW classes are just on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Why does this bug exist?
The class has too much material to have two classes a week, so we have class three times a week to be able to get through all the material by the end of the semester.

Bug #13: 
You have to pay for each page when printing in the library.
Why does this bug exist?
Printer ink is expensive, and if UF let printing be free it would be a huge expense to the school.

Bug #14: 
The gate code to my apartment building has been the same since I moved in last August and it makes me feel unsafe because I feel like all of Gainesville knows it now.
Why does this bug exist?
Communicating to all the residents that the gate code is changing would be a hassle, and if someone living there didn't get the memo they would be stuck outside, so it's easier to just keep the code the same.

Bug #15: 
The music building has a sort of open-air architecture to it, so when it's hot outside it's really hot inside, and when it's cold outside it's freezing inside.
Why does this bug exist?
The architect thought the building would have a cool look and feel if it was open.

Bug #16: 
Gas is so expensive to buy.
Why does this bug exist?
Gas is expensive to produce and make available for purchase, so it has to have a higher price to make a profit.

Bug #17: 
My apartment building is constructed around a courtyard with a pool in it, and since I live on the courtyard side of my apartment, I can hear when people are outside screaming/making noise in the middle of the night.
Why does this bug exist?
The design of the apartment building and courtyard looks very cool and appeals to potential renters.

Bug #18: 
Because I was in marching band last semester, me along with all of the other marching band members are required to play with the band in the stands at the Orange and Blue game in April, even though we're technically not in the class this semester.
Why does this bug exist?
If playing at the game was voluntary, no one would end up showing up to play, and they need a big group to play.

Bug #19: 
My computer doesn't stay charged very long.
Why does this bug exist?
Because I've had my computer for about six years, the battery is deteriorating a bit.

Bug #20: 
Uber rides are most expensive when you most need them.
Why does this bug exist
Uber as a company knows that during peak times the demand for Uber rides is high, so they charge a higher price because they know people will pay that higher price and they will make more money.


Reflection:
In writing this list, many challenges came up. I know that I get annoyed by a lot of things, but I guess that I do not dwell on these annoyances for long enough to make a lasting impression in my mind. All of the above are things that annoy me every day, but I don't stress over them very much. I really had to go through my day to be able to think of things in different locations that really bother me. I think that the reason I don't dwell on these bugs much at all is because I know that there is not much I am willing to do to make a change to them. I don't think of the reasons behind why these bugs exist, because they don't bother me enough to care why they exist, or even realize outside of when I'm experiencing them that I even experience them at all.

1 comment:

  1. Similarities in your Bug List are that gas is so expensive, shipping costs, and Friday classes. There were similarities and differences in that I don't have any on my list that are music related, but I can understand why those would bug you. Expensive gas is the most annoying, because everyone uses it, so it has become so expensive and there is no way to get around that for normal drivers.

    ReplyDelete